Three a DayThings that make my world a better place.
This experiment is grounded in positive psychology (PS) and was directly influenced by The Power of Habit and The Happiness Advantage. If you have neither the time to explore the field of positive psychology nor the inclination to read those books, I urge you to watch Shawn Achor’s highly entertaining, mind-opening, 12 minute TED Talk and ponder the possibilities.
My students were required to begin this journey with me the first week and many of them voluntarily embraced the daily exercise the following week. Since the science behind the activity is demonstrably sound, I’m planning to incorporate additional PS strategies in the classroom from this point forward.
If this and other simple behavior modifications have proven to lead to happier, healthier, more productive lives, I believe they should be an integral part of every child’s education.
April 6–12, 2015
- My wife. Our daughter. My life.
- The Mac Lab. Mistakes I’ve made. Lucid dreams.
- Spatial memory. Intuitive leaps. Flashes of insight.
- Daily smoothies. Better health. Transition lenses.
- Moneyball. Shakespeare in Love. Good Will Hunting.
- MLSS. The Coding Team. Dedicated students.
- Getting up first. Online collaboration. WoW.
April 13–19, 2015
- Second chances. New beginnings. Monday mornings.
- Waking before the alarm. Deadlines. Inspiration.
- Positive psychology. Untapped potential. The promise of tomorrow.
- Racing the clock. Polishing projects. Delivering on promises.
- Music in the classroom. Custom playlists. Classic rock.
- Receiving, beginning, and completing honey-do projects.
- Our home. Time with family. Time alone.
April 20–26, 2015
- Planning for tomorrow. Setting plans in motion. Experimentation.
- Typography. Texture. Color.
- Iteration. The Extra 10%. Breaking new ground.
- Finishing a book. Starting a new one. Utilizing research.
- New opportunities. Strategic planning. Disrupting the status quo.
- Digital music, media, and books.
- Delayed gratification. Due diligence. Decisive action.
April 27–May 3, 2015
- Game changers. Unselfish people. Open minds.
- Gum (Polar Ice). Licorice (Red). Cookies (Oatmeal Raisin).
- Adobe apps. Screenflow. Sharing resources.
- Photography. Videography. Post-production.
- New tools. New projects. Unforeseen benefits.
- The Avengers. Special Effects. 3D.
- Studying onboarding, hooks, and variable rewards.
May 4–10, 2015
- Public declarations. Quixotic goals. Moving forward.
- Milestones. Untested waters. Learning by doing.
- Fajitas. Jalapeños. Ice cold beverages.
- Persistence. Resilience. Fighting for what should be.
- Creative disruption. Unforeseen consequences. Synchronicity.
- Divi. Page Builder. Expanding & enhancing our website.
- Moms. Mr. Moms. Children.
May 11–17, 2015
- 365 projects. Social media. Remote support.
- Free resources. Commercial bundles. Creative options.
- Word of mouth. The global village. Growing influence.
- Google: Search. Calendar. Maps.
- Instagram. #365sko. Learning curves.
- Rain in May. Backyard garden. Homemade cookies.
- Susan: Alive 57. In love with 38. Married to 21.
May 18–24, 2015
- Typefaces. Glyphs. Ornaments.
- Boo & Buddy. Smokie & Smudge. Unique cat personalities.
- Open source. Public domain. Creative Commons.
- Autonomy. Mastery. Purpose.
- Ken Robinson. Dan Pink. Jane McGonigal.
- Quest Pods. Quest filters. Exporting/importing quests.
- Pattern. Rhythm. Repetition.
May 25–31, 2015
- The burbling waterfall. Chirping birds. Buzzing bees.
- Fibonacci. Mandelbrot. Exceptions to the law of large numbers.
- Rock of Ages. Wolfgang Von Colt. Stacee Jaxx.
- Kerning. Tracking. Leading.
- Yosemite Valley. Half Dome. El Capitan.
- Simile. Metaphor. Allegory.
- Arthur C Clarke. Isaac Asimov. Frank Herbert.
June 1–7, 2015
- Valentine. Deliamber. Carabella.
- Short flight. Quick car rental. Nice hotel.
- 24/7 stores. Caffeine. Full moon.
- Sonoma State. Orientation. Our Seawolf.
- Valhalla admin, staff, and students.
- Collaborative Tools: Slack. InVision. Remind.
- WoW: Professions. Classes. Talents.
June 8–14, 2015
- Altair. Deneb. Vega.
- Red. Green. Blue. (And the 16.7M colors they make possible).
- Old photos. Old journals. Recaptured memories.
- Camera Raw. Clarity. Vibrance.
- The Watch. The motivation. The feedback.
- Game On. New Features. New Releases.
- Radar Love. Born to be Wild. Tangled Up in Blue.
June 15–21, 2015
- Juggling: Patterns. Freestyle. Flow.
- da Vinci. Michelangelo. Bernini.
- KPRi. KFOG. KZOZ.
- Room 246. Curricular freedom. Reinventing the Wheel.
- First day of summer: Vacation. PD. Naps.
- Jack Ryan. Ding Chavez. John Clark.
- Dips: Salsa. Onion. Ranch.
June 22–28, 2015
- Raphael. Caravaggio. Titian.
- Neo. Trinity. Morpheus.
- BBQ ribs. BBQ veggies. Fresh fruit salad.
- Paul. Jessica. Gurney.
- Butterflies. Grasshoppers. Dragonflies.
- Coulson. Skye. May.
- Fall 2015 + Divi 2.4 = New onboarding strategies
June 29–July 5, 2015
- Writing. Proofreading. Rewriting.
- Game Changers: Dan. Reuben. Matt.
- Watermelon. Cantaloupe. Honeydew.
- Pacific Beach. Mission Beach. Ocean Beach.
- Burger. Fries. Shake.
- Parallel rule. Borco board. Mechanical pencil.
- Netflix. Fast forward. Rewind.
July 6–12, 2015
- George Orr. Heather Lelache. E’nememen Asfah.
- Steve Rogers. Bucky Barnes. Peggy Carter.
- Blackberries. Blueberries. Strawberries.
July 13–19, 2015
July 20–26, 2015